City Harvest Church (CHC) founder Kong Hee issued an apology on Wednesday to his church and to the public for “unwise decisions” he had made, Todayonline reported on April 19, 2017.
Kong, who will start his jail sentence on Friday April 21, said he was now “at peace” with his prison time.
He mentioned in the statement that he was “filled with grief and regret” over his mistakes and for forgiveness from people he had hurt. “To all I have disappointed, stumbled and hurt in my church, in the Body of Christ at large, and in the public, I am truly sorry."
Kong was convicted in 2015 for misappropriating S$50 million of church funds, together with five other CHC leaders. His initial jail sentence of eight years was reduced to 3 years and six months in a High Court verdict on April 7. However, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam had said that "the matter is not over yet," and Attorney-General's Chambers (AGC) is seeking to reinstate the initial heavier punishments for the six church leaders.
Kong said he was “thankful” that the High Court had found there was no sinister or malicious plan in relation to the misappropriated funds. “I had acted in the church’s best interest, something which the Court also accepted, although I accept responsibility for the manner in which I had sought to bring the Crossover Project to fruition in using the building fund,” he said.
The last seven years since the case was brought to light had been immensely challenging for him and his family, he added. “I am extremely saddened by the prospect of having to leave my family and church, and yearn to see them again after serving my sentence."