United States President Donald Trump has on Thursday called off his planned summit between him and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to reports.
He blamed it on North Korea's "open hostility" and warned Pyongyang against committing any "foolish or reckless acts".
North Korea responded it was still willing to talk to US after Trump cancelled the summit which was planned to be held on June 12 in Singapore, describing the decision as "extremely regrettable".
"The abrupt announcement of the cancellation of the meeting is unexpected for us and we cannot but find it extremely regrettable," said Kim Kye Gwan, North Korea's First Vice Foreign Minister in a statement.
"We again state to the US our willingness to sit face-to-face at any time in any form to resolve the problem," he added.
Trump said in a letter to Kim that he would not go ahead with the high-stakes meeting following a "trail of broken promises" by the North. The statement came after Pyongyang had slammed US Vice President Mike Pence as "ignorant and stupid".
"Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting," the letter read.
North Korea had announced that it had "completely" dismantled its nuclear test side, just before Trump canceled the talks.
"Our Chairman (Kim Jong Un) had also said a meeting with President Trump would create a good beginning and had been putting effort into prepartions for it," Kim said.
However, chances of success for the unprecedented face-to-face meeting is now thrown into doubt.