Singapore’s COVID-19 cases reached 1623 as the country confirmed 142 new cases on April 8 - its largest single day spike. Of the new cases - 2 are imported, 55 are linked to known clusters, 13 are linked to previous cases and 72 are unlinked with contact tracing underway.
Among the linked cases, 40 were connected to clusters at foreign worker dormitories and 28 were linked to non-dormitory clusters or other cases, said the Ministry of Health.
The MOH also reported a COVID-19 case from the public healthcare sector (case 1466), who is a 31 year-old male Indian national Singapore Work Pass holder, and has no recent travel history to affected countries or regions.
He reported the onset of symptoms on April 5, and is employed as a technician at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital. He had not gone to work since the onset of symptoms.
MOH has also said they are working to determine the cause of death of case 1604, a 32 year-old male Indian national who was a Long Term Pass holder. The patient had been swabbed at NCID for COVID-19 on April 7 and was advised to stay at home, pending the test result. His chest X-ray indicated he did not have pneumonia. He passed away at his residence on April 8, and was confirmed to have COVID-19 infection after his demise. Investigation into the cause death is ongoing, said MOH.
29 more cases have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities with a total of 406 having fully recovered.
Of the 669 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving. 29 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
542 cases who are clinically well, but still test positive for COVID-19 are isolated and cared for at Concord International Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital, Mount Alvernia Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital and the Community Isolation Facility at D’Resort NTUC. Six have passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection.