The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is urging all Singaporean students studying abroad to consider returning home “given the evolving COVID-19 situation and rapid increase of COVID-19 cases around the globe”.
As per a statement issued by the MFA, Institutes of Higher Learning in Singapore have begun recalling their students currently on overseas internship or exchange.
The statement says that students should consider returning home as many countries are imposing travel restrictions or closing their borders, transport operators and airlines are cutting services, and many services and facilities, including educational institutions, have also been closed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
The Government will liaise with airlines to facilitate flights to key cities when necessary during this period, to cater to demand for return flights to Singapore, added the statement.
The MFA also issued the following advisory to overseas Singaporean students yet to return home:
- Take all necessary precautions, observe good personal hygiene, monitor local developments, and heed the advice of local authorities.
- eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) at https://eregister.mfa.gov.sg/ at the earliest opportunity to enable MFA to contact you should the need arise. Students should also check the Ministry of Health (MOH) website (https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19) and MFA website for the latest measures implemented by Singapore.
- Ensure that continued access to medical facilities nearby, and appropriate health insurance coverage.
- Be prepared that these medical facilities may become overwhelmed, and may not be able to provide the same level of care and support as in Singapore.
- Be prepared to source for alternative accommodation in the event of hostel closures.
- Factor in the risks of severe disruption to travel routes and further travel advisories/restrictions at short notice, which may affect your travel plans to return home.
- Discuss with respective educational institutions on arrangements to continue their learning in Singapore.