During the COVID-19 pandemic, YouTube watchtime in Singapore grew by over 30 per cent over the last year – reaching over four million users aged 18 and above.
YouTube was also found to be the preferred platform for video conetnt in the city. The streaming site has announced its trending lists for 2020, giving us a look back at the videos that defined the year for Singaporeans.
In a time of uncertainty, as Singaporeans looked to its leaders for information and assurance, with PM Lee Hsien Loong’s timely address on the situation propelling its way to the top of the list.
With more Singaporeans staying at home, video consumption habits also shifted towards self-improvement videos as people looked for ways to meaningfully occupy our time. This included fitness videos such as the no-equipment arm workout (#6) and cooking videos, including a step-by-step video on how to make one pan egg toast (#9) providing a quick and easy way to start a new cooking hobby.
In addition, Singaporeans were drawn to humorous and uplifting content to take the edge off a difficult time. Popular videos in this aspect include that Jianhao Tan’s video (#5), which provided a relatable account of the struggles of home-based learning, and mrnigelng’s video (#3), which is a hilarious reaction to a BBC Food’s egg fried rice recipe.
Full list of Top Trending YouTube Videos (non-music) in Singapore:
1. CNA: [ LIVE HD] Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong addresses nation on COVID-19 situation
2. Ryan Sylvia: We Got A Divorce
3. Mrnigelng: Uncle Roger DISGUSTED by this Egg Fried Rice Video (BBC Food)
4. Mr. TFue: 60 Days Build Millionaire Underground Swimming Pool House
5. Jianhao Tan: 17 Types of Students in an Online Class
6. April Han: Slim Arms in 30 DAYs! | 8 Min Beginner Friendly Standing Workout (No Equipment)
7. LADIES FIRST: The Truth Behind My Leaked Tape
8. Prime Minister's Office, Singapore: PM Lee Hsien Loong on the COVID-19 situation in Singapore on 12 March 2020
9. 메리니즈부엌Meliniskitchen: [ 초간단] 원팬토스트 만들기 | How to make one pan egg toast
10. JEBBEY FAMILY: This YouTuber Copied My WHOLE Video!
Meanwhile, on the music front, Singaporeans continued to show a keen interest in Asian artistes this year. Particularly, K-pop captured the attention of viewers with its addictive tunes, clinching eight of 10 spots on the music list. Maintaining their place in the top spots of the list are Blackpink (#1), with their How You Like That music video and BTS with Dynamite (#2).
Blackpink also claimed three more spots (# 3, #4, #6) with their other music and dance performance videos, and BTS wowed audiences with their Kinetic Manifesto Film of On placing eighth on the chart.
Full list below:
1. BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK - 'How You Like That' M/V
2. Big Hit Labels: BTS (방탄소년단) 'Dynamite' Official MV
3. BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK - 'Ice Cream (with Selena Gomez)' M/V
4. BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK - 'How You Like That' DANCE PERFORMANCE VIDEO
5. JYP Entertainment: ITZY "WANNABE" M/V
6. BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK – ‘Lovesick Girls’ M/V
7. GEM鄧紫棋: G.E.M.鄧紫棋【很久以後 Long After】MV (電影《可不可以，你也剛好喜歡我》主題曲)
8. Big Hit Labels: BTS (방탄소년단) 'ON' Kinetic Manifesto Film : Come Prima
9. JustinBieberVEVO: Justin Bieber - Yummy (Official Video)
10. JYP Entertainment: TWICE "MORE & MORE" M/V