More than 3000 people have died of COVID-19 across the globe since the disease was first detected in mainland China in December last year. Of these, more than 2800 deaths have occured in China with at least 136 deaths in other countries.
There are over 8,000 confirmed cases in over 60 countries outside mainland China.
Iran has the highest death toll, outside of mainland China, with 66 reported deaths as of March 2, followed by Italy with 34 and South Korea with 26 casualties.
UK holds emergency meeting on coronavirus threat
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that the spread of the coronavirus infection in the UK is “likely”. He however also said that the UK has plans in place to tackle this after an emergency meeting on Monday.
"We have also agreed a plan so that if and when it starts to spread, as I'm afraid it looks likely it will, we are in a position to take the steps necessary to... contain the spread of the disease as far as we can, and to protect the most vulnerable," said Johnson.
The UK currently has 40 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus as of March 2.
The British government also announced that the comprehensive plan to tackle the COVID-19 infection that has been drawn up at Monday's emergency COBRA meeting, would be published on Tuesday.
EU raises risk alert level to high
The European Union Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Monday that the risk alert level for the novel coronavirus in the EU has been raised from moderate to high.
The EU has over 2000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with a massive outbreak in Italy.
Portugal has also announced its first two cases of COVID-19, while the number of confirmed cases in Germany has risen to 158 as of March 2.