The Indian consulate in Dubai is set to hold a series of celebrations to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, starting with a ‘Walk for Peace and Tolerance’ on October 2.
Consul General of India in Dubai, Vipul on Sunday announced a whole host of activities which will celebrate the legacy of Gandhi as a champion of peace and non-violence.
“Gandhi’s message of truth, peace and non-violence resonates the world over but it has a special significance in the UAE which is celebrating the Year of Tolerance and is home to three million Indians,” said Vipul.
The four-kilometre ‘Walk for Peace and Tolerance’ will begin at Dubai’s Zabeel Park at 6 am on October 2 with prizes being handed out to winners, including a return flight ticket from India’s national carrier Air India.
The walk will be followed by the Vaishnava Jana To bhajan and a meditation session outside Gate 4 of Zabeel Park as well as an inter-school painting and debate competition at the consulate.
The Indian consulate has collaborated with local associations, schools and government entities, including Dubai Sports Council and Dubai Municipality to hold various commemorative programmes in Dubai and the northern Emirates which will last till January 2020.
“Prime minister Narendra Modi is paying particular attention to Swachh Bharat Mission, renewable energy and elimination of single-use plastic. So our celebrations are also focused on these three areas. We are cleaning up our workplaces, restricting the use of plastic bottles in our offices and teaching children to assemble solar study lamps,” said Vipul.
At Sharjah Indian School, over 1,000 students will assemble these lamps from 8 am onwards. The consulate has also planned a cycle rally on October 4, in association with Indian Association Ajman.
There is also an event planned on October 5 where the Abdulla Al Saleh, Under Secretary of the Foreign Trade and Industry at the UAE Ministry of Economy will be the guest of honour. The event will be followed by a cultural programme.
There will also be an exhibition of 100 rare photographs of Gandhi, loaned by the National Museum of Gandhi in Delhi, which will be displayed at the Indian Consulate from October 2.
Events to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in Dubai:
- 4 km ‘Walk for Peace and Tolerance’ at Zabeel Park from 6 am onwards
- Bhajan and meditation session outside Zabeel Park
- Solar lamp making workshop for school students at Sharjah Indian School
- Exhibition of 100 rare photographs of Gandhi at the Indian consulate
- Painting and debate competition for school children at Indian consulate
- 5-km bike rally in association with Indian Association Ajman
- Indian Business and Professional Council (IBPC) Dubai to organise a cultural programme
- Talk on Gandhi by V Muraleedharan, Indian Minister of State for External Affairs
- Bhasha utsav (language festival) to be organised on Fridays
- Final event to commemorate Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary