The Chinese New Year celebrations turned into a nightmare for residents of 132 Cashew Road in Singapore as three people sustained burn injuries after a fire broke out at a sixth-floor flat. Staff of Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) rushed to the spot and controlled the fire.
Through a Facebook post, SCDF said, “Three of the occupants sustained burn injuries and were conveyed to Singapore General Hospital. They are now healing from their injuries.”
Preliminary fire investigation findings indicate that the fire started from an e-scooter placed in one of the bedrooms, SCDF said.
SCDF firefighters wearing breathing apparatus sets, conducted fire-fighting and rescue operations in the smoke-logged unit.
The fire involved the contents of a bedroom and was extinguished with one water jet and three Compressed Air Foam Backpacks. The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes.
Earlier, nine persons were evacuated from the affected unit prior to the arrival of SCDF
In addition to this, approximately 100 residents staying from 5th to 8th storeys were evacuated earlier by the Police. They were subsequently allowed to return to their homes.
SCDF reminded the public on the preventive measures of such fires with some fire safety infographics in its Facebook post.
- Do not charge batteries or devices unattended overnight or for an extended period of time
- When charging such batteries, place them on hard flat surfaces to allow optimal dissipation of heat
- Do not place the batteries being charged, and the Power-Assisted-Bicycles (PABs)/ Personal Mobility Devices (PMDs) near combustible materials or along an escape path
- Examine for any damage or deformities such as bloated, corroded batteries or powdered batteries