Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and 96-year-old husband of UK’s Queen Elizabeth II, has been hospitalised as a “precautionary measure” for the treatment of an infection from a pre-existing condition, the Buckingham Palace said yesterday. The development comes nearly seven weeks after the hospitalised as a “precautionary measure” for treatment of an infection from a pre-existing condition, the Buckingham Palace said yesterday. The development comes nearly seven weeks after the palace announced that Prince Philip will retire from royal duties from September.
At that time, the palace had also said that the Royal will continue to attend previously scheduled engagements until August, with the monarch and individually.
The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London last night, the palace said in a statement. “Prince Philip is in good spirits and is disappointed to be missing the State Opening of Parliament and Royal Ascot,” it said.
“The Prince of Wales will accompany The Queen to the State Opening. Her Majesty is being kept informed and will attend Royal Ascot as planned this afternoon,” it added. Yesterday, Prince Philip attended the Royal Ascot horse races, accompanying the Queen for a full day of activity.
Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was born in Mon Repos on the Greek island of Corfu on June 10, 1921, the only son and fifth and final child of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg.
Philip is patron of some 800 organisations, particularly focused on the environment, industry, sport, and education.