Sushma seeks report on child taken from Indian couple in Norway

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. Photo courtesy: PIB

Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj sought a report from Indian Ambassador in Norway on the allegations made by an Indian couple that the Norwegian authorities have taken away their five-year-old child on a frivolous complaint of abuse. 

Sushma Swaraj tweeted, "I have asked Indian Ambassador in Norway to send me a report."

BJP leader Vijay Jolly had written to Sushma Swaraj and the Indian Ambassador to Norway after the couple sought his help in getting back the custody of their child.

Boy's father Anil Kumar, who owns an Indian restaurant in Norway said, “ The Child Welfare Department of Norway took custody of my son on 13 December at 9.30 am, from his kindergarten school without informing them.”

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) officials said, "Our Embassy officials in Oslo have spoken to the boy's father Anil Kumar Sharma and extended full support. However, Sharma informed the mission that he has hired a lawyer to represent him in the case."

Indian ambassador to Norway Debraj Pradhan. Photo courtesy:

In his letter to Indian Ambassador Debraj Pradhan, Jolly had raised concern on "forcible custody" of the boy Aryan Sharma by Child Welfare Department of Norway on "baseless and fabricated complaint" in Oslo on December 13. Sharma is a member of 'Overseas Friends of BJP.'

Vijay Jolly said he has received a call from a senior MEA official saying that help will be given to the Indian couple.

Ashraf Jamal
Ashraf Jamal – Senior Writer

Ashraf Jamal brings a rare depth to writing equipped with a degree in journalism, a postgraduate degree in political science, and a degree in law from the Allahabad University. His experience includes editing and publishing the Northern India Patrika and writing for Times of India for almost a decade covering just about any topic under the sun including NRIs and Indian diaspora.


Which service do you use to transfer money for personal use to India?

  • Bank Transfer
  • Remittance services
  • Paypal
  • Wire Transfer services like Western Union, Remit2India
  • International Money Order
Write your story

Contribute an Article

Learn more