With updates to the system, Indians overseas can plan rail trips and itineraries well in advance
Catering to the increased demand from tourists abroad, especially non-resident Indians (NRIs), the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) now offers the facility of making online bookings for trains, hotels, catering services, flights, holiday packages and the like even if you're not in the country.
Now, NRIs can purchase train tickets in India from USA or around the world by registering themselves on the IRCTC. All that a user needs is a valid mobile number and email ID.
With enhanced internet connectivity over the years, IRCTC has developed its website to become more user-friendly. Queues at ticket counters these days are getting shorter and shorter as travellers these days are able to make reservations, and also modify them with just a click.
Upon successful registration as an IRCTC user, international users/NRIs can book e-tickets, make reservations in Tatkal (urgent) category, check train status, train routes, and modify existing reservations. However, international/NRI user(s) with a nationality other than Indian are required to pay a registration fees of SGD2 (INR100 + GST).
NRI User Registration: A Step-Wise Guide
- Click on the REGISTER link on the IRCTC home page.
- Fill all the requisite details, and then click on the ‘REGISTER’ button at the end.
- A pop up will appear asking you to verify the email id and mobile number entered by you.
- Cross check the details and then click on ‘OK’.
- You will receive a confirmation link on your registered email ID.
- Select the ‘CLICK HERE’ option, and you will be redirected to the IRCTC website.
- Now click on the ‘LOGIN’ button, and enter your User ID & Password mentioned at the time of registration to pay the registration fee.
- After successful payment, complete your mobile and email verification process.
- Verify your email by entering the verification code sent to your registered email ID.
- Verify your mobile number by entering the verification code sent to your registered mobile number.
- After email and mobile verification, the following text will be displayed on the screen : "Your account is verified successfully. Click here to login again."