The ongoing Qatar crisis further deepened as Egypt has decided that it will end free-entry visa for Qatar nationals from tomorrow, announced the Egyptian Foreign Ministry.
Four Arab countries; Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt have cut off diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar from June 5, accusing it of financing militant groups and allying with Iran. However, Doha denies the accusations.
Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said, “It does not make sense to keep making exceptions for Qatar and giving it privileges in light of its current positions.”
He added, “Qatari nationals will now have to apply for a visa in order to enter Egypt. However, Qatari nationals with Egyptian mothers, those married to Egyptians, and Qataris studying in Egypt will be exempt from having to apply for a visa.”
The number of foreign workers in Qatar is about 1.6 million, out of a total population of 2.5 million and Egyptians make up one of the biggest foreign contingents.
Meanwhile, Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told his Kuwaiti counterpart earlier on Monday that Egypt is standing by the list of demands it and the three Gulf countries made of Qatar and will keep sanctions against Doha in place.
Kuwait has been leading mediation efforts between Qatar and the four Arab states boycotting it. Its top diplomat Sheikh Sabah Al Khalid Al Sabah met Shoukry and President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi in Cairo on Monday.